Oprescu’s candidacy had been rejected by the Bucharest electoral oofice and the Bucharest Court.
Oprescu’s lawyers presented the court with data from the latest annual report of the Romanian Statistical Institute, or INS, according to which Bucharest includes some 1.5 million citizens with the right to vote, therefore Oprescu’s over 35,000 support signatures should be enough to allow him to run for mayor.
"This is proof that Romania still has justice," Oprescu said after the court’s decision.
Social democrat candidate Cristian Diaconescu said Friday evening in a TV show that the party’s national standing office should meet to see whether “there is any point” for social democrats to run for the position of general mayor.
Oprescu quit the Social Democratic Party to run for mayor independently, as party leaders decided to back Diaconescu for the race.