"Enel has launched a program based on a «social package» for Muntenia Sud’s staff, similar to the program implemented at the Banat and Dobrogea branches. The program envisages the voluntary closure of the labor contract, subject to early retirement, based on an agreement discussed and signed with trade unions. The number of employees within Muntenia Sud who agreed to enter this program has not been settled yet, so we cannot give an exact figure yet," Enel told MEDIAFAX Wednesday.
Enel representatives did not explain the reasons grounding this decision.
Italy’s Enel bought three of the state owned power grid Electrica’ branches, namely Electrica Dobrogea, Electrica Banat and Electrica Muntenia Sud, and now has around 2.5 million clients and 5,500 employees in Romania.
Other companies operating in the energy field made staff cuts over the last period.
Thus, over 1,700 employees with Romania’s state-owned power grid Electrica, or 9.5% of the company’s workforce, will voluntarily leave the company and receive severance pays totaling around 90 million lei (EUR1=RON3.9389), the company said last week.
Rompetrol group, majority owned by Kazakhstan’s KazMunaiGaz, applied a restructuring program on laying off around 2,000 employees, while local oil and gas drilling and construction company Dafora Medias (DAFR.RO) owned by Romanian businessman Gheorghe Calburean envisages workforce “flexibility.”