Prima pagină » English » Romanian PM Resorts To Police Services Again

Romanian PM Resorts To Police Services Again

Romanian Prime Minister Emil Boc said he decided to resort to services provided by the traffic police again, adding that his recent decision to renounce police escort was a way of showing his disapproval of the events which took place last week, during police unionists’ protests.
Romanian PM Resorts To Police Services Again

„It was a way to show my disapproval of those who breached the law and express my standpoint concerning those who were supposed to defend the law but violated it,” said the prime minister.

Boc arrived at the Education Ministry Tuesday under police escort. People close to the matter told MEDIAFAX the prime minister resorted to the services provided by traffic police again.

Nearly 8,000 people, including thousands of police officers and prison guards, gathered outside the presidential palace in Bucharest last week. They had started their demonstration at the Government’s headquarters but left after two hours for the presidential palace, in an unauthorized march, where they threw bottles, candles and police hats and demanded the president come out and solve their claims.

Following the protest, President Traian Basescu and the prime minister announced they no longer wish to be escorted by Interior Ministry personnel. The president said police officers undermined the state’s authority and its institutions, and highlighted that the only protesters who breached the law during rallies staged last week were the ministry’s employees. He also said gendarmes who were supposed to apply the law, negotiated it with demonstrators.

Interior Minister Vasile Blaga resigned Monday, amid tensions raised by the unsanctioned protest march, and was replaced by Constantin Traian Igas.