Prima pagină » English » Romania Might Be Removed From NATO Commands, Due To Low Budget – Former Defense Min

Romania Might Be Removed From NATO Commands, Due To Low Budget – Former Defense Min

Romania’s former defense minister Teodor Atanasiu told a press conference Friday that the Defense Ministry has the lowest budget since the country entered the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, which may cause Romania’s elimination from various NATO commands.
Romania Might Be Removed From NATO Commands, Due To Low Budget – Former Defense Min
20 feb. 2009, 21:11, English

Atanasiu said the Defense Ministry gets 1.3% of the gross domestic product, according to this year’s budget, which is the lowest budget Romania has had since it joined NATO, despite vows of 2.38% of the GDP going to defense.

He added this commitment was observed for two years, after which defense was granted between 2 and 2.1% of the GDP, and 1.92% last year.

According to him, Romania used a lot of money to be shown as the fourth global power in terms of the number of forces deployed on the battle field, and thus “satisfy presidential whims”.

When asked whether Romania could be sanctioned as it has not fulfilled its commitments regarding budget, Atanasiu answered that NATO does not sanction its member but repercussions may consist of removal from various NATO commandments.