Chiuariu said he told Prime Minister Calin Tariceanu of his intentions on Saturday, and although the head of government backs him, his resignation would be accepted.
The minister’s entire press conference was a response to President Traian Basescu, and Chiuariu even started the conference addressing “Mister Basescu”.
Chiuariu said he thinks he did nothing wrong and that he refuses to be part of the president’s masquerade.
"I am calm and confident. I don’t depend on this political position and I’m not intimidated. I will resign, but I promise you this: when this whole ridiculous thing ends, I’ll be back to finish what I’ve started and reform the legal system all the way," Chiuariu said.
The president on Friday urged for the dismissal of the justice minister, who is under criminal investigation.
It would be very serious if minister Chiuariu were to appear in front of the prosecutors while still in office, Basescu said.
Sending the justice minister to court denotes “a failure of the legal system” in any country, the head of state added.
Earlier this week, Chiuariu told the prime minister he is considering resignation, following the parliament’s failure to enact the ordinance amending the law on the Natioanl Integrity Agency, which was set up to screen politicians’ wealth in a move to crack down top-level corruption.