“So far, we have received several tens of complains in several counties, which were submitted last week by people who registered losses. Following talks with officials of Bancpost, we opened an investigation into the matter early this week,” Spiridon said.
On May 2, Bancpost said it has blocked several Millenium salary cards, after bank personnel noticed an increase in the number of suspicious transactions around Easter holiday.
The bank said Wednesday will return the money which was illegally withdrawn from the customers’ cards.
Bank customers will be able to use their cards again once the investigation is complete, Bancpost said, mentioning the inquiry might take up to 30 days.
Bancpost, majority owned by Greek EFG Eurobank, reported an estimated net profit of EUR29 million for 2007.
The bank’s loan portfolio reached EUR3.1 billion in 2007, up 86% on the year.