Romania’s BCR President Met With Union Leaders

Publicat: 12 01. 2009, 15:52
Actualizat: 06 11. 2012, 09:11

BCR said earlier Monday that its employees would go on general strike as of Wednesday, mainly seeking higher pay. The bank already challenged the union’s strike plans in court.

"The decision of the Federation of Independent Unions (FSI) within BCR occurs in the context in which the collective labor contract expired at the end of last year despite efforts of BCR’s management throughout negotiations to find a convenient solution for both parties in the difficult economic conditions in Romania. Representatives of FSI halted negotiations immediately after the conciliation stage, thus refusing dialog,” the lender said in a press release Monday.

According to the bank’s management, wage offers were commitments the bank can take under the current economic conditions and were made alongside the commitment to keep the number of employees at around 8,700.

Erste CEO Andreas Treichl said the Austrian Group finds the union’s claims inadequate and said the group backs BCR within negotiations.

End November last year, BCR had 9,420 employees.

Also Monday, the bank asked the Bucharest court to move up the trial date on its claim against employees’ strike plans and the court is to decide on the request Tuesday. The court initially set the trial date for Jan 15.