Prima pagină » English » EXCLUSIVE: Romania Says Will Cut More Public Sector Jobs In 2011

EXCLUSIVE: Romania Says Will Cut More Public Sector Jobs In 2011

Romania's Government pledged to continue layoffs in the public sector in 2011 to meet the terms set under a EUR13 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund, according to the country’s additional letter of intent to the IMF.
EXCLUSIVE: Romania Says Will Cut More Public Sector Jobs In 2011
Oana Gavrila
17 nov. 2010, 14:03, English

„The government is committed to continue the layoffs in the remaining months of 2010 and into 2011,” notes the letter, which was obtained by MEDIAFAX.

Under the IMF agreement, Romania must bring down to 1.29 million the total number of public servants in 2010, from nearly 1.4 million staff at the end of last year.

The authorities in Bucharest reiterated their pledge to lower the budget deficit to 3% of the gross domestic product in 2012, from 6.8% of GDP estimated for 2010, and said they will continue to limit public spending.

Additional measures will be taken if necessary, the government said in the letter, without specifying the targeted action.

An IMF mission visited Bucharest from October 20 to November 1 to review the country’s progress under the loan program and decide whether to disburse new aid, worth around EUR900 million.