Romanian Transport Minister Radu Berceanu said before a Government meeting held on Wednesday, the revenue and expenses budget for 2009 of subway company Metrorex will be approved by the Government.
„Subway employees want wage raises every year. They stay underground and they don’t want to see realities outside. Their wages increased by 23% in 2008, and by 26% in 2009, which is a 50% overall increase. I can no longer take into account any wage raise,” Berceanu said.
Late October, about 700 Metrorex employees gathered outside the Transport Ministry in Bucharest and marched up to the Finance Ministry protesting the management’s refusal to negotiate their wages. Unionists requested a 26% wage raise and were angry the subway company’s management would not renegotiate their collective labor contract, which was to expire on November 1 as the company’s budget for next year had yet to be approved.
Berceanu said back then that subway workers’ claim for a 26% pay raise was exaggerated and talks regarding a possible wage increase would take place next year, after the company’s budget for 2010 is approved.
The Government did not approve last week the revenue and expenses budget of Metrorex, as the company’s current budget scheme shows expenses exceed revenues by much, people close to the matter told MEDIAFAX.
Subway union leaders said Monday unionists would continue the protests calendar and would go on a two-hour warning strike on Thursday, followed by a general strike.