The protesters will march past the ministries of Economy, Labor, Interior, Health and Agriculture.
Bucharest Gendarmerie spokesman Marius Militaru told MEDIAFAX that the protesters will start the march after a BNS delegation hands the Government a statement comprising the unionists’ demands. Over 10,000 unionists from every economic sector are expected to take part in the march.
Gendarmes said the unionists are only authorized to gather in Victoriei Square for the march and may not stage a protest in front of the Government’s headquarters.
Labor Minister Ioan Botis invited union leaders to negotiations ahead of the rally, but they declined, saying the protest shall take place as planned and talks may be held afterwards.
Similar protests also took place last week, most recently Friday, when thousands of police workers and prison guards demonstrated outside the Government but then left on an unsanctioned march to the presidential palace. Their action prompted the president and prime minister to renounce police protection, saying police workers had disgraced their uniform and undermined state authority, and culminated with the resignation of the country’s interior minister, Vasile Blaga, on Monday.